Join Our Team
Intern Team for Chinese Student Travel Project (Sheffield)
Living and studying in the UK is a wonderful opportunity, at a pivotal time of your life. And it’s not just about the qualification. The people you meet, places you discover, adventures you have, and impression you make – these will become part of you. Pelago Travel want to help Chinese students discover the real Britain – finding great experiences, building friendships and making memories to treasure.
There are more than 100,000 Chinese university students in the UK, more than 4,000 in Sheffield alone.
We’re running a pilot programme in Sheffield, between February and early April, to research, develop and test new ways for Chinese students to find their best possible experiences in the UK. We’re now recruiting part-time student internships to help turn ideas into reality.
Read the Role Description and Person Specification to find out more.
Intern Team for Chinese Student Travel Project (Based in Sheffield)
Wanted Part time student Interns to help develop new travel experiences for Chinese markets in the UK, especially Chinese students.
Context Pelago Travel Ltd. are recruiting a team of 3 interns, who should be students at Sheffield universities. The team will be led by Stuart Gillis, Director and co-Founder of Pelago Travel. The team is part Chinese citizens, part UK citizens.
Timescale Approximately 50 hours between February and April 2018, plus travel experiences.
Tasks We will work as a team to plan and carry out various tasks, including:
- Researching markets – including 1-2-1 interviews with other Chinese students
- Building product content – putting together itineraries for different tours (from half-day experiences, to multi-night tours)
- Testing the product – trying out tours and experiences, evaluating the results
- Producing marketing collateral – such as video and images for website and social media
- Helping inform a sales and marketing plan.
About us We’re a recently formed company, run by experienced leaders and professionals in UK heritage, culture, landscapes and nature. There are two sides to the business: we’re a tour operator, and we carry out tourism development work for external clients. Over recent months, we’ve met different agencies to understand the needs of Chinese students. We think there’s an opportunity to help Chinese visitors find a range of great experiences in the UK. We think that part of the secret to success lies in developing a new form of UK / Chinese collaboration. We want to recruit a team to help us put this idea into practice.
About you You will be:
- a consumer (or potential consumer) of travel in the UK – such as going on a day out, or going on a multi-night tour. You might be interested in shopping, nature, history, art, architecture, city-life, the countryside or meeting new people. You might like to sit back and take in the view, or you might be looking for an adventure – learning to surf, scuba-dive, or riding a zip-wire down a mountain canyon.
- a Sheffield university student – looking to learn, develop and apply yourself to the tasks listed above.
- someone who likes to achieve – both for yourself, and for the team.
- a Mandarin speaker – confident or learning English OR an English speaker – interested in learning about China and working with Chinese people.
- it’s likely that one member of the team will be studying Tourism Management – but we’ll consider every application, from across all disciplines.
What we offer
- Career enhancing role
- Develop your individual talent. And achieve as part of a team
- Help create a commercial enterprise
- Work in a UK & Chinese collaboration
- Discover new travel experiences
- Help Chinese visitors find the real UK
- 1-2-1 development meetings with Directors
- Regular team meetings in Sheffield
- Chance of progression opportunity
- The experience and know-how to help turn great ideas into reality
Place of work
Our headquarters for meeting and planning will be at Sheffield Confucius Institute. We’ll break the work into tasks, much of which can be completed in sub-teams and working from home. We’ll also be going on the road to test ideas.
How to apply
Tell us why you’d like to join this team, and what you can contribute. Send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12.00 midday on Thursday 15 February. If you want to ask a question first, please send an email to the same address. We look forward to hearing from you.
Sign Up For News
Sign up to receive the latest tours news and offers.